Not Just For Fires

Homeowner's Policies Cover:

  • Your Residence
  • Detached Structures (Garages, workshops, fences, dog kennels, garden sheds, etc...)
  • Your Belongings (Including when you're away from home.)
  • Living Expenses
  • Personal Liability
  • Medical Expenses

*Except for dwelling and structures, a Renter's Policy has very similar benefits and starts as low as $120 per year!

There are two types of coverage for your possessions: Actual Cash Value and Replacement Cost Coverage.

  • Actual Cash Value, the insurance will cover the cost of replacing the property minus an allowance for depreciation. For example, if you have older furniture, that allowance could be quite significant. Unless your policy specifically says it provides replacement cost coverage, the coverage is for actual cash value.
  • Replacement Cost Coverage, the insurance company will cover the cost of replacing property that is damaged or stolen, up to a maximum dollar amount. Replacement cost is better for you, the homeowner.

To insure your home appropriately, you want to make sure that you have enough coverage to rebuild your home in case it gets completely destroyed. That means the limit on your policy should be equal to the cost to replace your home. The replacement value is calculated on a "cost per square foot" basis: take the square footage of your house and multiply it by the average square foot building rate in your area. Your insurance agent will be able to help you calculate the replacement value.

There are certain exceptions to the coverage on your homeowner's policy. These exceptions generally include loss due to flooding, earthquake, landslide, and other disasters. If you live in a flood or earthquake-prone area, or on a hillside, you might wish to consider buying additional protection.

There are other limitations to the homeowner's insurance policy. For instance, there is coverage for the contents in your home, this coverage is limited to certain valuables, including jewelry, art, and computer equipment.

As a rule of thumb, if you have a collection or an individual item worth at least $500, you should consider additional coverage options by buying a personal property endorsement or "floater". A "floater" is attached to your homeowner's policy and provides the additional coverage you need. The higher the value of the items you'd like to insure, the more the added-on coverage will cost.

Auto Insurance

For 50 years, residents in Farmingdale and throughout Long Island have enjoyed unmatched auto insurance options from Brooks-Waterburn.

What Our Customers Say:

Larry Trapani was extremely friendly and efficient. He immediately responded to my request and provided a detailed quote in a very short amount of time. Add to that he is very knowledgeable and was able to advise me on how to maximize my coverage where it was most needed while saving money on other items. I can't thank him enough!

Michael B.
Customer Since 2021

Get a quote:

(516) 997-9800

Protect yourself and your business.

Contact us today